Cyber Safety Tips For Parents:
- Be aware of the things that your child is doing online. Talk to them of the websites that they visit and make sure that you’re familiar with these websites.
- Place computers in the living room or in communal area of the house.
- Tell your child that you are there to help them if they face problems on the Internet or if they are unsure about anything.
- Before giving them Internet access, remind them to keep personal information private like their address and phone numbers.
- Remind your child that the Internet is open to everyone and not all of the information written there is true.
- You should encourage your child to learn how to balance their online time with their “real world” time. Limiting their Internet access might help.
- There should be Internet rules and you should let your child know and agree to these rules.
Cyber Safety Tips For Children:
- Ask an adult if you are unsure of the things that you see online.
- Don’t fake your age on websites and enter sites that are not suited to your age.
- Do not give our your personal information on the Internet like address and phone number.
- If you have a social media account, do not add people as online friends unless you personally know them in real life.
- Never meet a friend that you just met online without taking a parent.
- Remember not to believe everything on the Internet.
- Read articles about cyber safety and cyber bullying to increase your knowledge about these things so that you could avoid them.
Cyber Safety Tips For The Public:
- You should use strong passwords to your online accounts. For example, you need to have a password that has a lower and upper case letters with numbers.
- Before you send anything, think about it and reread it.
- Don’t post inappropriate content anywhere online. Remember, the contents that you post on the Internet are forever.
- Make sure to check the privacy settings of your social networking account.
- Do not click on links that are embedded in e-mails and multimedia messages. If you still want to visit the site, type it on the address bar of the browser and check it from there.
- Tell the authorities if you are being bullied or if your account was stolen online.